Espial Reports 2014 Fourth Quarter Results
Ottawa, Ontario – February 26, 2015 - Espial® Group Inc. ("Espial" or the "Company"), (TSX:ESP), a leader in the delivery of on-demand TV software and services, today announced its fourth quarter and year end financial results for the three and twelve month periods ended December 31, 2014.
Ottawa, Ontario – February 26, 2015 – Espial® Group Inc. (“Espial” or the “Company”), (TSX:ESP), a leader in the delivery of on-demand TV software and services, today announced its fourth quarter and year end financial results for the three and twelve month periods ended December 31, 2014.
Espial 2014 & Q4 Highlights
- For the year ended December 31, 2014 revenue increased 59% to a record $20.0 million.
- For the year ended December 31, 2014, Adjusted EBITDA income was a record $3.2 million.
- Q4 revenue was a record $5.3 million.
- Q4 Adjusted EBITDA income was $0.5 million.
- Subsequent to year-end, announced that a European Tier-1 cable operator signed a major contract with Espial as primary software vendor and systems integrator to deliver their next-gen RDK based 4K DVB set-top box platform and user experience.
- In 2014, we secured an RDK partnership with Samsung, and further announced multiple wins for our multi-screen and SmartTV products.
“Exciting things are happening at Espial and our record quarter and annual results reflect this. The goal in 2014 was to secure a leadership position in this early market stage of RDK and HTML5 based software solutions,” said Jaison Dolvane, CEO, Espial. “We believe we achieved this goal and our strong sales pipeline reflects this. Early January we announced that a new European tier-1 cable operator selected Espial as their primary vendor to deliver their next generation RDK set-top box and HTML5 user experience. We are heading into 2015 with strong momentum towards further adoption of Espial’s world-class user experience solutions.”
For the three-month period ended December 31, 2014, the Company is reporting revenue of $5.3 million compared with revenue of $3.9 million for the three months ended December 31, 2013. Adjusted EBITDA income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014 was $0.5 million compared to $0.6 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013. Net loss for the quarter was $0.2 million, compared with net income of $0.1 million last year. Adjusted net income for the fourth quarter was $0.3 million compared to Adjusted net income of $0.3 million last year.
For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2014, the Company reported revenue of $20.0 million compared with revenue of $12.5 million for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2013. Adjusted EBITDA income for fiscal 2014 was $3.2 million compared to a loss of $3.0 million for fiscal 2013. Net income for the year was $1.2 million, compared with a net loss of $5.5 million last year. Adjusted net income for the 2014 fiscal year was $2.7 million compared to an Adjusted net loss of $4.3 million last year.
Q4 Financial Results
- Fourth quarter revenues were $5,258,593 compared with revenues of $3,902,541 in the same period a year ago. Fourth quarter software license and royalty revenues were $2,898,646 compared to $2,482,863 in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013. Professional services for the fourth quarters of 2014 and 2013 were $1,100,466 and $328,477 respectively. Maintenance and support revenues for the fourth quarter were $1,259,481 compared to $1,091,201 last year.
- North American revenues were $1,665,761 in the fourth quarter of 2014 compared to $1,717,493 in 2013. Asia revenues were $1,984,378 in the fourth quarter of 2014 compared to $892,517 in 2013. European revenues were $1,608,454 in the fourth quarter of 2014 compared to $1,292,531 in 2013.
- Gross margin for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014 was 84% compared with 81% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013.
- Operating expenses in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014 were $4,429,375 compared to $2,845,056 in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013.
- Earnings before interest, foreign exchange, taxes, stock compensation, depreciation and amortization (Adjusted EBITDA) for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014 was income of $544,971 compared to income of $576,690 in fiscal 2013.
- Net loss, which includes non-cash items like depreciation, goodwill and intangibles, in the fourth quarter was $161,231 compared to net income of $148,944 last year.
Fiscal 2014 Financial Results
- Total revenues for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2014 were $20,003,757 compared with revenues of $12,549,412, in the same period a year ago. Software license and royalty revenues for the 2014 fiscal year were $8,723,977 compared to $7,031,332 in fiscal 2013. Professional services for the fiscal years of 2014 and 2013 were $6,429,023 and $1,315,749 respectively. Maintenance and support revenues for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2014 were $4,850,757 compared to $4,202,331 last year.
- North American revenues were $8,038,906 in the 2014 fiscal year compared to $4,262,957 in 2013. Asia revenues were $4,771,042 in the 2014 fiscal year compared to $4,125,156 in 2013. European revenues were $7,193,809 in the 2014 fiscal year compared to $4,161,299 in 2013.
- Gross margin for the 2014 fiscal year was 79% compared with 82% in fiscal 2013.
- Operating expenses for the 2014 fiscal year were $14,237,250 compared to $14,668,472 in fiscal 2013. Included in the fiscal 2013 year operating expenses is a restructuring charge and integration costs related to the acquisition of ANT.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2014 was income of $3,170,985 compared to a loss of $2,960,261 in fiscal 2013.
- Net profit in the 2014 fiscal year was $1,171,885 compared to a loss of $5,529,425 in 2013.
Cash, restricted cash and cash equivalents on December 31, 2014, was $18,111,324
A complete set of financial statements and management’s discussion and analysis for the period ended December 31, 2014 will be available at http://www.sedar.com.
The Company will be hosting a conference call to discuss the Q4 and fiscal year 2014 financial results on Thursday, February 26th, 2015 at 5:00PM EDT and the phone number to join the results discussion is:
- Toll Free line (Canada/US) 877-201-0168
- Toll line (International/Local) 647-788-4901
The playback for the call will be available until 11:59pm ET on March 25, 2015, at the following numbers and passcode:
- Toll-free line: +1-855-859-2056, Passcode: 85801105
About Espial (www.espial.com)
Espial is a leading supplier of digital TV and IPTV software and solutions to cable MSOs and telecommunications operators as well as consumer electronics manufacturers. Espial’s middleware, video-on-demand, and browser products power a diverse range of pay-TV and Internet TV business models. Over 35 million licenses of its patented software are in use across the world. Espial is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and has offices in the United States, Europe, and Asia. Visit www.espial.com or contact via phone at +1 613 230 4770.
Forward Looking Statement
This press release contains information that is forward looking information with respect to Espial within the meaning of Section 138.4(9) of the Ontario Securities Act (forward looking statements) and other applicable securities laws. In some cases, forward-looking information can be identified by the use of terms such as “may”, “will”, “should”, “expect”, “plan”, “anticipate”, “believe”, “intend”, “estimate”, “predict”, “potential”, “continue” or the negative of these terms or other similar expressions concerning matters that are not historical facts. In particular, statements or assumptions about, , economic conditions, benefits of new customer and partner relationships, future opportunities for the company and products and any other statements regarding Espial’s objectives (and strategies to achieve such objectives), future expectations, beliefs, goals or prospects are or involve forward-looking information.
Forward-looking information is based on certain factors and assumptions. While the company considers these assumptions to be reasonable based on information currently available to it, they may prove to be incorrect. Forward-looking information, by its nature necessarily involves known and unknown risks and uncertainties. A number of factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements or could cause our current objectives and strategies to change, including but not limited to changing conditions and other risks associated with the on-demand TV software industry and the market segments in which Espial operates, competition, Espial’s ability to effectively develop its distribution channels and generate increased demand for its products, economic conditions, technological change, unanticipated changes in our costs, regulatory changes, litigation, the emergence of new opportunities, many of which are beyond our control and current expectation or knowledge.
Additional risks and uncertainties affecting Espial can be found in Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Results of Operations and Financial Condition and its Annual Information Form for the fiscal years ended December 31, 2013 and 2014 filed on SEDAR at www.sedar.com. If any of these risks or uncertainties were to materialize, or if the factors and assumptions underlying the forward-looking information were to prove incorrect, actual results could vary materially from those that are expressed or implied by the forward-looking information contained herein and our current objectives or strategies may change. Espial assumes no obligation to update or revise any forward looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements that speak only as of the date hereof.
Non-IFRS Financial Measures
We use Adjusted net income (loss) and Adjusted diluted earnings (loss) per share, which remove the impact of our amortization of intangible assets and stock based compensation expense, to measure our performance as these measures align our results and improve comparability against our peers. We use Adjusted EBITDA INCOME (LOSS) to provide investors with a supplemental measure of our operating performance and thus highlight trends in our core business that may not otherwise be apparent when relying solely on IFRS financial measures. We believe that securities analysts, investors and other interested parties frequently use non-IFRS measures in the evaluation of issuers. Management also uses non-IFRS measures in order to facilitate operating performance comparisons from period to period, prepare annual operating budgets and assess our ability to meet our capital expenditure and working capital requirements.
Adjusted net income (loss), Adjusted diluted earnings (loss) per share and Adjusted EBITDA income (loss) are not recognized, defined or standardized measures under IFRS. Our definition of Adjusted net income (loss), Adjusted EBITDA income (loss) and Adjusted diluted earnings (loss) per share will likely differ from that used by other companies and therefore comparability may be limited. Adjusted net income (loss), Adjusted EBITDA income (loss) and Adjusted diluted earnings (loss) per share should not be considered a substitute for or in isolation from measures prepared in accordance with IFRS. Investors are encouraged to review our financial statements and disclosures in their entirety and are cautioned not to put undue reliance on non-IFRS measures and view them in conjunction with the most comparable IFRS financial measures. We have reconciled Adjusted net income (loss) and Adjusted EBITDA income (loss) to the most comparable IFRS financial measure as follows:
|Three months ended December 31, 2014 (unaudited)||Three months ended December 31, 2013 (unaudited)||Twelve months ended December 31, 2014 (unaudited)||Twelve months ended December 31, 2013 (unaudited)|
|Net income (loss)||$ (161,231)||$ 148,943||$ 1,171,884||$(5,529,421)|
|Stock based compensation||337,373||36,751||861,510||143,969|
|Amortization of intangibles||162,993||161,460||645,870||1,101,885|
|Adjusted net income (loss)||339,135||347,154||2,679,264||(4,283,567)|
|Net interest income (expense)||(36,136)||147,836||23,687||547,024|
|Foreign exchange gain (loss)||(131,942)||(33,241)||(205,653)||277,641|
|Adjusted EBITDA income (loss)||$ 544,971||$ 576,689||$3,170,984||$(2,960,261|
|Basic net income (loss) per share||$(0.01)||$0.01||$0.05||$(0.37)|
|Diluted net income (loss) per share||$(0.01)||$0.01||$0.05||$(0.37)|
|Adjusted diluted net income (loss) per share||$0.01||$0.02||$0.11||$(0.29)|
For inquiries from the financial press or analysts, contact:
Chief Financial Officer
Espial Group Inc.
Phone: +1 613-230-4770
Espial Group Inc.
Phone: +1-613-230-4770 x1145
Consolidated Statements of Income and Loss and
Comprehensive Income and Loss
(In Canadian dollars), except share amounts)
|Three Months Ended||Twelve Months Ended|
|December 31, 2014||December 31, 2013||December 31, 2014||December 31, 2013|
|Software||$ 2,898,646||$ 2,482,863||$ 8,723,977||$ 7,031,332|
|Support and maintenance||1,259,481||1,091,201||4,850,757||4,202,331|
|Cost of revenue||840,697||738,575||4,297,770||2,299,217|
|Sales and marketing||1,162,783||710,362||3,991,274||3,923,040|
|General and administrative||849,277||394,635||2,843,589||1,987,502|
|Research and development||2,254,322||1,578,599||6,756,519||6,606,819|
|Business restructuring charges||–||–||1,049,222|
|Amortization of Intangible assets||162,993||161,460||645,869||1,101,889|
|Income (loss) before other income (expense)||(11,479)||318,910||1,468,736||(4,418,277)|
|Foreign exchange gain (loss)||131,942||33,241||205,653||(277,641)|
|Income (loss) before tax||156,599||204,315||1,650,702||(5,242,942)|
|Net income (loss) and comprehensive income (loss)||$ (161,231)||$ 148,944||$ 1,171,884||$ (5,529,425)|
|Income (loss) per share – basic||$ (0.01)||$ 0.01||$ 0.05||$ (0.37)|
|Weighted average number of shares outstanding – basic||26,123,246||16,913,977||22,786,909||14,776,991|
Income (loss) per share – diluted
|$( 0.01)||$ 0.01||$ 0.05||$ (0.37)|
|Weighted average number of shares outstanding – diluted||26,690,370||16,913,977||24,572,562||14,776,991|
Consolidated Balance Sheets
|December 31, 2014||December 31, 2013|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$ 18,111,324||$ 7,407,093|
|Investment tax credits receivable||312,329||312,027|
|Prepaid expenses and other assets||567,853||502,990|
|$ 28,417,792||$ 16,258,886|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities||$ 2,521,480||$ 1,872,505|
|Share based payments reserve||12,986,590||12,125,080|
|$ 28,417,792||$ 16,258,886|
Statements of Cash Flows
|December 31, 2014||December 31, 2013|
|CASH PROVIDED BY (USED IN)|
|Net income (loss)||$ 1,171,884||$ (5,529,425)|
|Items not affecting cash|
|Depreciation of property and equipment||194,868||212,158|
|Amortization of intangible assets||645,869||1,101,889|
|Share-based compensation expense||861,510||143,969|
|Interest accretion on long-term debt||57,944||185,449|
|Changes in non-cash operatingworking capital items||(1,715,059)||2,194,307|
|Purchase of equipment||(383,146)||(29,815)|
|Purchase of intangibles||(43,265)||(5,255)|
|Purchase of business||–||(2,120,412)|
|Redemption of short-term investments||–||8,164,551|
|Repayment of operating line||–||(3,010,192)|
|Repayment of term debt||(2,500,000)||(1,000,000)|
|Proceeds from equity financing||11,500,092||3,623,037|
|Costs of share issuance||(935,206)||–|
|Net cash and cash equivalents inflow (outflow)||10,704,231||4,351,449|
|Cash and cash equivalents, beginning of year||7,407,093||3,055,644|
|Cash and cash equivalents, end of year||$ 18,111,324||$ 7,407,093|
|Interest paid||$ 48,219||$378,105|
|Taxes paid||$ 478,818||$286,483|