HIGH PERFORMANCE, LOW FOOTPRINT STB MIDDLEWARE
Espial STB Client
High Performance STB Middleware
The Espial Evo Client enables service providers to deliver user experiences that delight and captivate subscribers on a wide range of set-top-box platforms. Using a rich, standards-based authoring environment, operators can customize, brand and extend their services to deliver a differentiated experience unified across new and old devices. The open interfaces and well documented development toolkit provide full user interface and application portability and free the operator from set-top-box and ecosystem vendor lock-in. The Espial Evo Client adapts to a variety of networking requirements and can be deployed in broadcast, IPTV, OTT and Hybrid configurations.
It offers an advanced suite of TV applications: Electronic Program Guide (EPG); High-Definition User Interface; Video on Demand (VOD); Pay-Per-View (PPV); Portal; Settings; Digital Video Recorder (DVR) and Whole-Home DVR; Caller ID and a WebKit Browser. It is available in several configurations tailored to power a wide range of STB capabilities—from legacy platforms to home gateways. The Espial Evo Client provides a complete solution for a unified brand experience in the connected home.
The Espial Evo Client Advantage
Compelling User Experience
- Highly responsive user interface
- Data-driven application architecture for quick, responsive user interaction
- Excellent TV viewing experience on a wide range of devices
Extensible and Customizable
- Ability to create rich, animated user experiences
- Ability to rapidly add applications and services
Open and Modular
- Open environment for rapid integration with VOD, CA/DRM and back-office systems
- Seamless porting to other STBs without modification to the UX
- Bring linear TV, on-demand, user-generated and OTT content together in a single UX
Unified Brand Experience
- Consistency across multiple generations of devices
- Leverage emerging gateway functionality to expand the operator brand throughout the connected home
- ATSC/DVB-x, IPTV, OTT, and hybrid configurations
- Single platform to address evolving network configurations
- Decouples service innovation from network evolution
Espial Evo Client - Service Enablement
Electronic Program Guide
- Rapid response time on channel tune, fast scroll program navigation and UI presentation flexibility (grid, zap, single channel).
- Supports PPV reminders, filters, search, favorites and channel re-ordering.
- Data-driven model (data caching and indexing) results in responsive guide navigation and instantaneous searches.
- EPG data compression minimizes footprint on the STB, allowing more room for richer data or other applications.
- Support for popup program information, language customization and EPG programs one minute in length.
- Configurable multiple favorites management, reminder management, guide view filters, and searching and sorting of guide data.
- Fully customizable EPG design and look and feel - from a list-based single channel program presentation view, to a ‘now and next’ Zap guide, to a multi-day grid guide.
- Includes sample application user interfaces to shortcut the UI design cycle.
- Open search, parental locks, scaled, full-screen movie preview, purchase transaction.
- Support for full movie playback trick modes - play, pause, stop, resume, rewind, fast forward.
- Support for movie preview (scaled or full screen).
- Support for a variety of VOD business models including subscription and pay-as-you-go.
- Optimized for user performance and scalability - linear scaling to millions of subscribers.
- Supports multiple “storefronts” allowing branded portals to content catalogs from different content providers.
- Fully customizable, template driven VOD catalog user interface.
- Reference VOD portal can be used out-of-the-box or as a starting point for a custom design.
- Reference integrations with leading VOD platforms and management systems.
- Full transactional support for operators to retain complete operational control
- PPV Channel filters to make selection easy for subscribers
- Search by name and genre including PPV events
- Purchase PPV events
- Cancel PPV purchases
- Manage password PIN including setting, validation, and timed lock-out
- Retrieve PPV program info, including title, description, rating, advisory, start time, duration, and category
- Fully customizable look and feel
- Timshift TV allows users to:
- Restart a program if they arrive a few minutes late
- Watch a show hours or days after the broadcast
- TimeShift-Restart allows subscribers to View a program in progress from the beginning during an operator-defined portion of the program window.
- TimeShift-Delayed allows subscribers to view a program from the beginning after its broadcast window for an operator-defined period of time. It frees the subscriber from the broadcast schedule and motivates content consumption. Configurable trick lay behavior and availability windows allow alignment with varying content restrictions.
- TV Browser is based on WebKit CE and supports rich video features, leading compliance to industry standards such as HTML5 and WebGL, and best-in-class embedded browser performance.
- With advanced features for TV displays and remote-control navigation, TV Browser delivers a rich converged media experience that keeps subscribers fully engaged.
Digital Video Recorder (DVR)
- Flexible recurring options including once, daily, weekly and weekday
- Configure advance start times and/or extended end times (e.g., start recording 1 min before scheduled time)
- Manually configurable start time and end time for each auto-recording
- View and manage schedule
- Default recording lifetime is ‘keep until subscriber deletes’
- Customize recording lifetime options and clean-up routines
- Watch and pause live TV or a recorded program while recording a 2nd channel
- Trick mode playback support (rewind, fast forward, slow motion, jump-to)
- View, manage and select to play from the “recorded programs” list.
- Bookmarking support (i.e., resume playback from last exit)
Integration with EPG
- Ability to select programs to record from the EPG
- Ability to visually identify scheduled recordings in the EPG
- Full integration with parental controls including rating and advisory blocks
Conflict resolution management
- Tuner and playback conflicts during scheduling recordings
- Resource conflicts (e.g., disk space availability, hardware failure)
- Message Waiting indicators
- Caller ID
- Caller ID log
- Call Services Settings
- Ready for integration with popular signaling platforms
Whole Home DVR
- The Espial Evo Client provides a whole-home DVR application which allows subscribers to record and play back programs from any STB in the home (requires one DVR STB).
- Parental control is available on each STB. Parents can record a show in one room and watch it from another using a parental control PIN. A child in another room is unable to view the show without the PIN.
- Subscribers only need to deploy a single DVR set-top box per home.
- Users can schedule, list, play, delete recordings from all STBs.
- Conflict resolution is handled across all STBs.
- All STBs reflect updates in real-time.
- Delivers an identical user experience on all STBs.
Walled-Garden and Third Party Games and Applications
- The portal application is built for controlled content environments. It is easily configured to meet a variety of on-demand application requirements – walled garden, casual games, pop-up messages, portal services, and MDU services.
- It allows third-party development of new services for deployment without risking platform stability. The following capabilities are included:
A comprehensive set of supported tags and attributes, and scripting functions following popular HTML conventions so content is highly portable.
- Additional TV optimized functions to simplify adding responsive animations, transitions and effects.
- Customized development of tailored look and feel.
- Configurable triggers for launching the portal on user remote key event or other system event, including signal from broadcast stream.
- Small footprint and maximum application performance.
- Interactive, link-based for extensive navigation options.
Espial Evo Client - Technical Specifications
Client System Specifications
- Management of network, events, memory, storage, graphics, video, I/O, fonts, clock and image decoding.
- Management of STB, TV channel tuning, audio/video streaming, and volume.
- Data-driven architecture manages heavy data processing, caching, memory, search indexing and network updates.
- Internationalization support.
Client Graphics and User Interface
- Support for HD (16:9) resolution.
- Alpha-blending of video, text and images.
- Enchant Reference UX available (SD & HD).
Minimum System Requirements
- Standard: 250mhz CPU, 64MB RAM, 32MB ROM
- Light: 75mhz CPU, 2MB RAM, 2MB ROM
Open Framework, Tookits and APIs
- Portability Layer—enables easy porting to new platforms.
- Fully customizable user interface supports brand and user experience.
- Modular architecture - develop applications and user interfaces based on the performance capabilities of the device.
- WebKit-based core engine.
- HbbTV, Open IPTV Forum, DVB, MHP, OCAP, ARIB BML and OSGi.
- 2D (remote control) navigation for TV.
- Open SDK and API - extend scripting to expose device capabilities to 3rd party content developers.
- Multimedia capable - includes Adobe Flash plug-in.
- International - support double-byte characters (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) and right-to-left characters (Arabic, Hebrew), as well as an input method framework.
Internet Media Player
- Apple HLS: Http Live Streaming support for VoD and Live, subtitle support, H.264 video and AAC audio codecs.
- Microsoft Smooth Streaming: Microsoft IIS Smooth Streaming Transport Protocol v.1.0 for VoD (subset), H.264 video and AAC audio codecs.
- MPEG DASH: ISO/IEC FCD 23001-6, STD Version 2.1c2 M2TS Constrained Profile with VoD support and subtitles, H.264 video and AAC audio codecs.
- Supported DRM formats: Microsoft PlayReady, Apple native DRM.
Find Out More
To learn more about Evo Client, contact us today.